Skip to main content

CONTEMPORARY URBAN FANTASY: Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Cordova (Novel)

As a writer, reading is the most important thing that can be done to improve your craft. Provides a richer well from which to draw (try saying that five times fast). For a long time, I wasn’t reading. Nothing quite gripped me after I stopped reading Rick Riordan’s work religiously. (Funny how he has come up by name twice in a row.) I struggled to get through any long-form fiction until, ironically enough, Aru Shah and the End of Time. What broke me out? The decision to, as much as possible, stop reading fiction written by cisgender heterosexual white people. A choice that has upped my game significantly, both in terms of reading and writing.
     Even more so than Aru Shah, Zoraida Cordova’s Labyrinth Lost was the first book that I read in years that felt like the literature that made me care about writing and storytelling. It was adventurous, provocative, and inspiring in all of the ways that I want my YA to be.     Labyrinth Lost follows Alejandra Mortiz, a teenager who hates magic in a family of brujas. When her powers manifest, she performs a canto, a spell, to rid herself of them. Only her magic is tied to her family, so they vanish instead. The story unfolds as Alex has to embrace her culture, her magic, the parts of her for which she is most ashamed to get her family back.
     The direct relationship between her culture and her magic is what drew me into the book in the first place. It takes the magic of your Harry Potters and other European systems and she filters it through the varying cultures from which the Mortiz girls come.
     When I asked her about how she managed reinventing magic through her culture, Cordova said, “As content creators, we have to push ourselves to make something new out of old traditions. I knew that I wanted a magical system inspired by Latinx culture but I wasn't about to invoke a Santeria prayer into my book because that [walks the line] between appreciation and appropriation. I focused on my girls. Who are they? What gods do they pray to? How are they still coded as Latinas? How does their house smell like? What tools do they use to craft their cantos?”
     Cordova manages to keep the imagery and magic structure inherently Latinx without it being a specific faith. She deifies the things that are sacred, naming them in Spanish, making cantos the spell work of the community. 
     With those connections, the story, to some degree, stops being about the magic itself and becomes about the idea of denouncing your cultural identity—a conflict that, I think, lends itself perfectly to the book’s contemporary setting. Growing up in present-day Brooklyn among the Latinx bruja community, Alex is constantly steeped in her culture and seemingly wants out. It isn’t until losing her family that she has to accept her connection to them and to what they are, what she is, and what she cannot help but be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE GOTHIC: Frankenstein by Mary Shelly (Novel)

Goddess bless Mary Shelley, mother of my genres. Part of why I took this class was to try and get my feet wet in some of the roots and core ideologies of the genres in which I write. Discussion on this, for example, has helped push me into wanting to pivot the genre of my thesis from straight contemporary fantasy to wanting it to be more neo-southern Gothic.    But I digress! The gothic traditionally is very concerned with questions of mortality. Namely how to escape it or the repercussions of attempting to do so. I’m pushed to think of Edgar Alan Poe, who is constantly grappling with death and what it means in his work—probably because everyone he ever looked at died of TB within 20 minutes of meeting him.       Mary Shelley wasn’t too much better off, so Frankenstein doesn’t come as a shock. But Frankenstein asks what happens when you try to cheat or outwit death. Frankenstein’s monster is the bastardization of life itself, and Doctor Frankenstein realized that immediately,

Assessment

What is your reaction to what you just read? One of the most important aspects of storytelling, as I’ve learned it so far, is that you cannot hand the readers everything at once. Confusion is what keeps the reader reading. Questions, intrigue. And while I don’t want to shade Mother Octavia—who the hell am I to shade Octavia Butler anyway?—I think that she may have gone too far onto the other end, at least for me. I went in confused, intrigued. I came out with a feeling of some unresolved confusion.   So as far as I gather, the Tlic…exist…and implant humans with their eggs. They used to herd them like cattle but backed out before deciding on the joint family gig.   I don’t feel like I have a concrete enough grasp on what the Tlic are, what an N’Tlic even is, what T’Khotgif Teh is. I feel like I grasping at something like I’ve grabbed a handful of sand and things are slipping through my fingers.   It’s important to point out that style and taste is a thing worth

WITCHES AND WOMEN: Akata Witch (What Sunny Saw in the Flames) by Nnedi Okorafor (Novel)

Before sinking my teeth into Akata Witch , I want it on the record that the book’s title is different in Nigeria and in the UK because of the fact that the word akata is an anti-African-American slur more or less translating to “cotton picker.” Little meaning would be changed if the title were “Nigger Witch," an anti-Black slur. All that is to say, hearing that repeatedly made me itchy. But, as an akata, I will continue using that version of the title in my writing.      Comparing Akata Witch to Harry Potter feels almost like a disservice to Nnedi Okorafor’s work. Mostly because I actively resist the idea of comparing an Author of Color’s work to a white author, basically saying ”it’s this thing but brown.” (Which, by the way, is what everyone seems to say about Roshani Chokshi’s Gilded Wolves , calling it a brown Six of Crows .) It puts an idea on the table that fails to really encompass the depth that Akata Witch goes to. For example, one of the biggest things that stick ou